Chapter One - Part1: Zero to Deploy / First App
Warm-Up / Bellringer
- What is the sequence for getting your code up to Github? Extra 5 points if you can tell me how to do it WITHOUT using the Github App but entirely from the command line. Email me your response.
- Learn how to set up an account on Heroku, a popular Rails development site
- You will learn how to create a basic Rails app from the command line interface (cli).
- You will learn about two very special files inside your Rails app, The Rails Gemfile and the git ignore file
Watch the video(s). Be prepared to answer the questions in the "Checks for Understanding" section below. Use the player on your computer, pause, stop, scrub and play in order to follow along with the video.
Checks for Understanding
- What command do you use to create a new rails app?
- There were two files that I mentioned where very important what are they called? Hint: one holds things created by third party developers, the other helps ignore things.
- How do you initialize a rails app for use with git? (what do you type from the command line
- What command lets you check the status of your local git repo?
- How do you add files to your git repo?
- And what command do you use to commit your changes?
- How do you tell git to ignore something? What was the name of the file that I had git ignore in the video?
- In "git add ." what does the "." mean?
- In "git commit -m" what does the "-m" a flag for?
- How can I see the history of my git commits? What command do I enter?
FOLLOW AND DO what is on the video(s), Use the player on your computer, pause, stop, scrub and play in order to follow along with the video.
On to Part 2
Here are SOME of the resources mentioned in the video.
Try setting these up on your HOME computer.